Friday, March 14, 2008


I miss the Middle East today.
I miss the hot sun and the burning wind. I miss the harsh beauty of the volcanic mountains and the soothing ocean. I miss the kids on my street. I miss the boys buzzing at the gate and the girl's innocent smiles. I miss my English classes and my students. I miss walking and taking debaabs. I miss the fruit dukan and my favorite fazulia resturant. I miss my friends. I miss them laughing at my Arabic attempts and loving me because I tried. I miss sharing thousands of cups of Shai. I miss sappy text messages. But most of all I miss my desperation and total dependence daily on Christ. I miss the peace that come unexplicably in difficult days. I miss clinging to the promises of God for survival. I miss thirsting for His word. Life here is good and pleasant but not full. I miss living daily aware of my purpose.

1 comment:

Laura Jones said...

Letha, you have summed it up so precisely, the strangeness of living NOT overseas, especially after experiencing the fullness and intensity of life when it's not quite so... comfortable. I love you, and I'm praying that this time in school will be an investment in your future, that it will prepare you mind-heart-body-soul to return to the Other Side and that you'll one day look back on right now and say, "I miss..."

Sending you lots of love and a great big hug! :)

Laura