Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Do I need to tell you all what I am suppose to be doing?
Bet you guessed, I am "writing" yet another paper and have no words.
I think I have what most people refer to as test anxiety...but I have never experienced in on test. I just can't get a paper written and this should be an easy one. The paper is going to talk about the Christus Victor theme of Christ's work in his life, his death and his resurrection. Often this theme is presented as an opposing view to the penal substitution theme of Christ' work. Was the cross necessary to appease the wrath and justice of God or to win the victory over evil and mankinds bondage to sin? Do we focus on God's love or God's power? With this in mind how do we present the good news to those still in captivity? I was challenged to present the gospel using the Christus Victor theme, and I surprised myself. I loved it! It made so much more sense to me why this girl needed Jesus! Always before I would have focused on His love and comfort for her during this difficult time. Now I can also share with her the hope of putting her trust in the One who has overcome this world. I can share with her that her decision today determines which side she will choose to fight for. Joshua 24:15 "And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the LORD, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
And so in the paper I am going to discuss how I presented the theme, how I would improve it for next time, and how I plan to use the theme in the future among the women I serve.
So let me know your thoughts
Letha

1 comment:

Tim and Joan Gillihan said...

Very intersting Letha, sounds like you have many good ideas already for your paper. We have many current friends who so far have not responded to the message of love and I think we need to also be clearer about choosing to be the friend of God or the enemy of Christ. Too many think they can talk nice about and say they like Jesus and they still don't admit that they require a Savior to find forgiveness of sins and find a way back to God.