Monday, September 11, 2006

So I told a friend just about two days ago that I did not miss America. I told him I missed a lot of people there but not the place itself. What would I miss? Well as always when you made statements like that it comes back to haunt you. Yes, today I missed America - I missed it big time. Let me start from the beginning. Yesterday I was given my electricity bill - not such a big deal, I didn't think so either. Well I went to the post office today (that is where we pay all our bills) with the specific purpose to pay the electricity bill and the phone bill. Well I gave the man at the counter (a man I really like, he has helped me in the past to get packages when the 'package man' wasn't available) my bill. He quickly stamped it and I made the mistake of questioning the amount. It was really high! And before I could think he tore the bill up!!! I think he thought I wasn't going to pay it because it was so high. The problem is you have to have the bill to pay the amount because he stamps it and it become your recipe. One side goes to you and the other gets sent to the electricity company. So now I don't have a bill. I am not worried this is a nice guy he will fix the problem. NOPE, he tells me now I have to go to the electricity office to get a new bill to pay for my electricity. I ask him why I can't pay it here...finally I understand that he needs my bill from last month. Okay I can do that - so I go home still not concerned about the issue thinking he will make everything okay. So I went back this evening and got the same answers as before, he just wanted to show me on my old bill the numbers I needed to show at the electricity company. He knows me arabic isn't so great and was trying to help me out but I was mad at this point. As always they point me to go over and talk to another man. This second man was really nice also but could do nothing to help me. I told him I just wanted to pay my bill but he said I had to have a bill/recipe. I told him the man over their ripped it up!! He told that man was a bad man, it was not good, but now I must go to the electric company. I have no idea where the electric company is! And I told him so - then he told the what every single girl felling all alone in a foreign country wants to hear - he told me to tell my husband to do it for me. That about pushed me over the edge. So I missed America today and the nice little envelopes you get in the mail and the nice litte envelopes you put your check in and place in the mail box the next day. I don't know when I shall go on the hunt for the electric company but I am sure it will be another adventure.
So now that I have told my dramatic story - on a lighter note I hope you enjoy the ridiculous picture of me. I have a friend who is very concerned about my lack of wearing makeup so last time I went to visit her I let her do my makeup. I was already to go to a party or wedding. She took over an hour applying layer over layer and tons of black eyeliner...I really do love living here and am learning more about myself (and my limits) and my Father everyday.
Hope to keep this blog more interesting in the next few months.
 Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear how the electricity bill story ends up...or continues. Should I send you some make-up in your next package!?

Mark and Hannah said...

Wow, this is a family affair with the comments here. Man, I would lose it if someone tore up my bill. Good thing you are patient. Hope it all turns out okay! : )