Lamentations
So I have always been planning on writing a few entries on the many interesting and exciting things I am learning and studying here at school. Today seems the perfect day to begin, beings as I have tons of stuff that could be getting done and a paper that needs written. As you may be wondering about the title of this entry, Lamentations, I will explain. The paper I am supposively now writing is on Lamentations 2. How often do you read Lamentations? I don't very often, actually the only times I know for sure that I have read it is when I make a point to read the entire Bible, then I read it.
It is a fascinating book. I don't claim to be a great Biblical scholar or theologian, but I get excited about learning and I am learning bunches about the historal setting of Lamentations, the debate over who really is the author, the literary structure and form of the book. Did you know it is an acrostic? I never did.
The question that remains ungrasped for me is application. I can see a lot of ways I could take the text and make it "apply" to me, but I always come back to the thought, 'how dare I.' I have a very blessed life, I haven't experienced any great suffering, sure I have seen it and know people who have experienced it, but how do I relate to a people who have had everything they ever possessed or valued taken away from them and destroyed?
And this is only the surface question I have a lot more, and I love it! I know I would love to live in a black and white world where everything is clearly cut out and in its place, but I am learning to appreciate these difficult to answer areas. Areas where all I can do is trust God and his sovereignty, trust His purposes, and know without a doubt that I serve a God who is present, not distance. That I can go to Him will all these questions and work them out, slowing coming to a greater and deeper understanding of who I was created to worship.
Thanks for reading, Letha
1 comment:
So....you need to forward that paper on to me when you get it done! I'm feeling pretty clueless about Lamentations!
David and I are reading a chronilogical one year bible this year...we are behind but hope to soon spend a day trying to catch up quite a bit. Love it....
Great pics of the girls from Easter!
Post a Comment